Your smile is one of your greatest assets and the first thing that people notice about you. Cosmetic dentistry can transform your smile, but that is only the first step. A proper at-home oral hygiene routine ensures that you will have not only a great-looking smile, but a healthy mouth.Brushing:
- Brush at least twice a day; in the morning and before bed. Unsure of which brush is right for you? St. Paul Dentistry can help you select one that suits your needs.
- Place the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle where the gums and teeth meet.
- Use small circular motions to gently brush gum line and teeth.
- Don’t apply too much pressure to the teeth – this can damage gums and tooth enamel.
- Brush every surface of every tooth, cheek-side, tongue-side, and chewing surfaces. Pay special attention to the surfaces of the back teeth.
- Use back and forth strokes to brush the chewing surfaces.
- Brush the tongue to remove fungi, food and debris.
Flossing is a very effective way to remove plaque from between teeth. The flavor and type of floss are unimportant; choose floss that will be easy and pleasant to use.
- Cut a piece of floss about 18” long.
- Wrap one end of the floss around the middle finger of the left hand and the other end around the middle finger of the right hand until the hands are 2-3 inches apart.
- Work the floss gently between the teeth toward the gum line.
- Curve the floss in a U-shape around each tooth, carefully sliding it beneath the gum line.
- Carefully move the floss up and down several times to remove inter-dental plaque and debris.
If you still have questions, contact our Minneapolis Dental Office, and we will be more than happy to answer them for you.