St. Paul Dentistry Explains How Dental Implants Work
The Dental Implant Fixture
The Dental Implant Fixture is the part of the implant that is embedded in and becomes anchored to the jawbone. This portion of the dental implant lies below the gum line and is sometimes referred to as the “artificial root”. The implant fixture is made of titanium in a screw-shaped design. The surface of the fixture is microscopically roughened increasing its total surface area, thereby creating greater bone-to-implant contact.
The Dental Implant Abutment
The abutment of a tooth implant is the stub portion of the fixture that will sit slightly above the gum line. It is a small protruding surface that the crown or bridgework will rest upon. In order for the implant fixture to have time to fully integrate with the bone, the abutment is usually attached to the implant fixture by St. Paul Dentistry several months after the titanium screw portion is placed.
The Dental Prosthesis
The dental prosthesis refers to the dental crown or bridgework that is supported by the implant and the abutment described above. Depending on how this dental work has been designed, it is either cemented or screwed into place. The placement of the dental prosthesis is the final step in the implant process.
If you are missing one or more teeth you may be a good candidate for dental implants. But each patient has different needs, so schedule a consultation with our Minneapolis Dental Office to determine if dental implants are right for you.
We’re using innovative laser dentistry to provide you with fast, effective, and comfortable treatment!
With laser dentistry more patients than ever before are getting the treatment they need comfortably and quickly. Our office uses the revolutionary Lightwalker Laser to treat a number of common dental problems.
With the Lightwalker Laser we:
- Treat periodontal disease (also known as gum disease)
- Eliminate cavities and prepare teeth for fillings
- Perform root canals
- Treat cold sores and canker sores
- Improve the appearance of the smile with cosmetic dentistry
Laser dentistry has a number of important advantages over traditional treatment methods. Laser dentistry is appropriate for a wide number of patients, including children and patients with dental phobias.
Here are some of the benefits of using the Lightwalker Laser:
- Laser treatment is very comfortable, in fact many patients don't require any anesthesia during laser treatment.
- The laser is quiet—no drilling sounds!
- There is minimal bleeding with laser treatment.
- No cutting or stitches.
- Using a laser, Dr. Malterud can be more precise than with traditional instruments. This means that we can preserve more of your healthy tooth structure when placing fillings or performing root canals—keeping your teeth stronger for years to come.
Using the Lightwalker Laser we're able to offer our patients effective, efficient treatment for a wide number of dental problems. If you have questions about whether laser dentistry may benefit you, feel free to contact us by phone at (651) 925-2644 or schedule an appointment online.
Get the Relaxing, Comfortable Dental Treatment You Need With All-Natural NuCalm®!
NuCalm®, what’s that?
NuCalm® a completely natural relaxation protocol that helps dental patients remain comfortable during dental treatment. After using NuCalm® patients leave our office feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
How does it work?
NuCalm® treatment combines a few different techniques to relax the patient. The purpose of NuCalm® is to coax the patient into the first stage of sleep. NuCalm® is designed to shift brain waves from high frequency beta brain waves (wakefulness) to lower frequency alpha/theta waves (deep relaxation).
What exactly happens during treatment?
There are four consecutive steps to NuCalm®:
- First you’ll take a dietary supplement. This supplement helps to counteract the effects of adrenaline in your body.
- Next, our dental team will attach small microcurrent stimulation patches behind your ears. Low-level electrical currents facilitate your body’s relaxation response.
- Then, you’ll put on a pair of noise-dampening headphones. These headphones play soothing music that has been optimized calming neuroacoustic tones. As you listen to these sounds, you’ll fall deeper into a stage of pre-sleep.
- The final step is for you to put on light blocking glasses. These glasses are so important—they help you block out distractions and potentially stressful stimuli!
It takes only moments for the effects of NuCalm® to kick in—you’ll notice the difference right away!
Why choose NuCalm®?
Dental patients of all ages choose NuCalm® because it:
- Is effective
- Is completely natural
- Starts working in minutes
- Doesn’t include any medications or narcotics
- Does not require the patient to receive injections
- Does not incapacitate you physically or mentally (you’re never unconscious)
- Is free from side effects—you won’t have to wait for the effects to wear off post-treatment
- Is relaxing and rejuvenating
NuCalm® is suitable for all kinds of dental patients, and it is great for those people who avoid dental treatment due to fear and anxiety.
Our team has been serving the Saint Paul, MN area as a general dentist for over 30 years...