When consulting with patients about Invisalign treatment, many are surprised to learn that they are required to wear retainers once the alignment portion of the treatment is complete. Wearing retainers after completion of your Invisalign treatment should be considered an essential element of the treatment so today I’d like to explain why this is so important.
Whether you’ve gone through Invisalign treatment or not, teeth are continually moving to some degree and it may not always be perceptible. This means that you will need to wear some type of orthodontic retainer after your Invisalign treatment is completed to maintain the corrected alignment.
If you do not wear the retainer provided by your St. Paul Invisalign Dentist, it is likely that your teeth will begin to drift. You may be surprised to learn that going without a retainer for even a relatively short period of time can give teeth an opportunity to shift causing another misalignment.
There are essentially two types of retainers: fixed and removable. As the names imply, these terms refer to the fact that the retainer is either permanently attached to your teeth or is removable. Each has its own distinct advantages and disadvantages. Your St. Paul Highland Park Dentist can discuss both these options with you and help you make the decision as to which will be most beneficial to your situation.
Certain teeth alignment problems need to be retained longer than others. Therefore, retention is more critical in these cases. Your Invisalign dentist is the best person to determine what is appropriate in your situation.
Now that you’ve completed the Invisalign treatment successfully it makes sense to consider the retention phase as an ongoing and necessary part of your treatment. You’ve already made an investment in a beautiful, even smile. By conscientiously using your retainer you are simply protecting your investment.
- Saint Paul Dentist Compares And Contrasts Bonding And Veneers
- Tooth Loss Treatments Explained By Our Saint Paul Dental Implant Dentists
- Our Saint Paul Dentists Can Help You Get The Most Out Of Your Brushing Routine
- Our Saint Paul TMJ Dentist Provides Comprehensive Care
- Saint Paul Dentist Reviews Ways To Maintain A Healthy Smile Even When You’re Sick
- Need a Smile Makeover? The St. Paul Dentist Explains How Veneers Can Help
- The St. Paul Cosmetic Dentist Discusses Professional Teeth Whitening
- The St. Paul General Dentist Explains How to Achieve Oral Health through Prevention
- The Facts You Need to Know about Orthodontics Shared by the St. Paul Invisalign Dentist
- St. Paul Dentist Puts Patients At Ease Using NuCalm
(a $114 value).
How it works, how much it costs, and much more...